Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Perfectly Peachy Almond Bars


For those of you who are natives to Hurricane know that the biggest weekend of all is Peach Days. And for those of you who know me know that I love to cook. Well let me explain how the two make a story. For years my hubby has told me that we need to enter the cook-off contest. I have gracefully declined from his suggestions each year. But this year I had an idea and I was going to carry through with it. I may not win but success of a great recipe that I could call my own was my drive and motivation. I fiddled in the kitchen for weeks and finally had perfected this recipe. I came up with a basic batter recipe and then added the magic ingredient...PEACHES. It was amazing and even more than that it tasted amazing. Well I thought I had a chance. I prepared my dish for the contest and they tasted the best yet. It was so exciting. I turned in my dessert and awaited the judges results. Well to spare you all the details I got denied a place in the winners circle. Yes it was extremely disappointing but I have decided that had the judges known the depth of my recipe compared to the Philsbury or crushed cookie crust recipes (not to knock what the others prepared) that won my recipe would not have compared...my recipe was from scratch not just scratch a box open. Well I guess you could say that I am a little bitter about the whole thing and just wish that I had really thought out the rules or lack there of in the contest. I might have just kept the recipe to myself and spared myself the loss. I guess that I take my cooking really seriously and so when you lose to a Philsbury recipe it is a GREAT disappointment. At least I have the pride of knowing that every part of my entry was MINE!!! And I own a great recipe too.

6 comments:

Pamela said...

I am so sorry that you didn't win but they look great. Now the real question in are you going to share the recipe?

Hopie said...

Ok, now that you're done whining..... get your nifty Pilsbury recipe ready for next year!!!! It was fun to see this weekend!!!

Hopie said...

HAHA!!! Some of us are just more competitive that others!!! I guess you learned from it and that's good!!! When you cooked for me, you were the winner!!! If you ever need to feel like the winner again, give me a call, I will support you in that ;)

Ginnifer said...

I feel for ya. They look yummy, and it's weird ones were chosen that weren't even original. I've always heard the past winners were recipes that were 100% original.

Jen said...

That's so frustrating! I agree that everything from scratch is SO much better. I'm sure, had they known that, you would have won by leaps and bounds!

Mike and Kerry said...

I talked to someone that got so sample your cookies/bars (after the judging)and they said that they were delicious. I was sad when I went by to sample the desserts and they were all gone. I think that I need to try them soon because they look really, really, really scrumptous! Good for your to create your own recipe--how empowering!